'Mixing number' of permutations

Hugo Pfoertner all at abouthugo.de
Thu Aug 17 16:18:24 CEST 2006

"N. J. A. Sloane" schrieb:

> I posted this to the seqfan list on Aug 15, but I never saw it,
> so maybe it wasn't distributed>  My message said:
>
> >From njas Tue Aug 15 16:03:59 2006
> To: seqfans at seqfan.net
> Subject: nice problem from Tom Young and Barry Cipra!
>
> See A121176.
> NJAS
>
> , and the subject is the "organization number" of permutations.
>
> Neil

After looking at
http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A121176
and the example given for the "most unorganized" permutation an idea
comes to my head:
Is there a connection to
http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A110610 ?
Maximizing the sum of products of adjacent elements might give something
quite similar to "unorganization".

We had an interesting dicussion on this subject not too long ago:
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.math/msg/c7db0c0ce6d3bda5
in the sci.math thread
"Maximum over an n-cycle" starting at
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.math/msg/04742f066d4d1159

I still have two sequences in the pipeline, giving the numerators the
most probable sums, see (unfortunately in German)

http://groups.google.com/group/de.sci.mathematik/msg/dd7221a263f197b2

but being too busy in other tasks this still has to wait.

Hugo