Erase to increment

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Thu Aug 17 16:48:54 CEST 2006

In fact, sequences with this property are closely related to fractal
sequences, via what
I call the ordinal transform.  The ordinal transform of sequence a is
the sequence b
where b(n) is the index of a(n) in the values of a that are equal to
a(n).  E.g., if a
starts 1,1,2,1, b(4) will be 3, because a(4)  is the 3rd 1 in sequence
a.

(As always with ordinals, there is the question of whether to start
with 1 or 0.  I'm
assuming 1 here, but if the sequences you are dealing with include 0's,
the 0-based
version is usually better.  They just differ by 1, in any event)

A sequence has the "erase to increment" property iff its ordinal
transform is fractal.
(Recall that a sequence is fractal if removing the first instance of
each value leaves
the original sequence.)  Applying the ordinal transform again will give
the original
sequence.  (Generally, applying the ordinal transform three times is
the same as
applying it once, so this is not a surprising result.)

Franklin T. Adams-Watters