'Mixing number' of permutations

Henry Gould gould at math.wvu.edu
Thu Aug 17 19:27:07 CEST 2006

My memory made a small made a mistake. Here is a correct statement which
I just picked up on the web at

<http://f2.org/maths/resnet/>

"When I read the rec.puzzles FAQ there was [November 2004: & still is]
no general solution to the resistance between opposite corners of an
arbitrary hypercube of 1-ohm resistors; solutions were only given for 3D
and 4D hypercubes. This problem seemed quite tractable - just
combinatorics. The same reasoning about symmetry for the cube case can
be applied to the arbitrary d-dimensional case: joining the
equipotential points results in d layers containing d(d-1 choose i)
resistors in parallel in the i'th layer, giving an overall resistance of
(sum from i=0 to d-1 of 1/(d-1 choose i)) / d. The values for the first
few d are:

d 	2 	3 	4 	5 	6 	7 	8 	9 	10 	11
resistance 	1 	5/6 	2/3 	8/15 	13/30 	151/420 	32/105 	83/315 	73/315
1433/6930

As d gets larger, the resistance tends toward 2/d [more accurately, 2/d
+ 2/(d-1)^2] ; the dense layers in the middle become relatively perfect
conductors compared to the outermost layers."

So what I wanted to recall is (1/n)*sum(1/binomial(n-1,k),k=0..n-1). Se
were asked in a calculus class at University of Virginia in 1948 yo find
the resistance of a rhree dimensional cube and we extended it to n by
this formula, which you can get by using Kirchhoff's laws. The fractions
abovve may be adjusted or normalized and entered in the OEIS if not
already there.

Regards,

Henry Gould