A121760/1: two (interesting?) sequences

Joerg Arndt arndt at jjj.de
Tue Aug 22 08:34:26 CEST 2006

* Paul D. Hanna <pauldhanna at juno.com> [Aug 22. 2006 16:18]:
> Seqfans,
>      In general, I agree with Joerg:
> > When 'base' meets 'prime' all hope is lost.
> > When 'prime' meets addition, all hope is lost.
> > When 'decimal' meets about anything, all hope is lost.
>
> but of course, there are exceptions.

Yes, I know   8^)

> A notable exception to base sequences are the 10-adic integers;
> below I give some examples of 10-adic integers in the OEIS.
> And other interesting base-related sequences do exist.
>
> And for primes, I've always thought they were overused,
> yet I submitted A099863 (below) because the distribution
> of the primes modulo 2^n arouses my curiousity
> (due in part to Wallis' approximation to Pi/2).
>
> There are better examples of valuable prime-related sequences,
> but I am giving A099863 a shameless plug.  : )
>
> My point is, don't be too quick to "throw out the baby with the bath
> water".
> But I agree that such sequences can be trivial clutter
> for obvious reasons that have been clearly stated.
>
> Paul

>  [...]

Both sequences are fine examples of well thought, well presented and
at all means useful sequences!

It may be that the 'all hope is lost' patterns just appeal to those
who tend to dump unreflected ideas to the OEIS.  I do refrain from
critics unless a sequence _in_my_opinion_ lowers the value of the
OEIS.

Feel free to disagree and drop that 16 ton weight on me.