Categories

Henry Gould gould at math.wvu.edu
Fri Dec 1 05:20:07 CET 2006

I recall such a paper. The author published a paper giving a new
definition  for the dimension of a topological space. He built up a
chain of lemmas, ending up with a grand and glorious theorem based on
the properties of a sequence of sets. The paper got bu the referees and
the editors of a leading American research journal. When the
Mathematical Reviews came out the very intelligent reviewer reported all
the things in the paper and then ended with an incisive comment that
unfortunately the author had failed to notice that every set in his
sequence happened to be EMPTY. That was such a remarkable review.

A friend and colleague  of mine made up a new definition of a pseudo
inverse of  a matrix and was about to publuish it when it suddenly
downed on him that none of the matrices he had invented existed.

So, yes, this kind of thing can happen.

Henry Gould