sequences of marginal interest

Joerg Arndt arndt at jjj.de
Fri Dec 15 05:44:33 CET 2006

[forgot to group-reply, sorry for breaking the thread]

* N. J. A. Sloane <njas at research.att.com> [Dec 15. 2006 15:21]:
> Joerg,
> when you look up a sequence, the matches you get are
> ranked according to certain criteria.
>
> so if you look up 2 3 5 8 13 21 you get the Fibonacci's first,
> with the junk at the end

OK, I see (never realized that)!

> so the less interesting sequences will only appear
> if they are the closest match in the whole database,
> and then you would be grateful - well, that's the idea, at least.

Yes that way it's just perfect.

> in the database of real numbers that you mentioned,
> that was swamped by polylogs, there was presumably
> no such ranking

Exactly.  And it totally gave up further searches
because it had found something that "matches".
I seem to recall polylogs where of much interest to
the guy who set it up (Plouffe?).  However, this
example can serve a a warning that even with "useful"
stuff (with many parameters) one can kill a resource
by "spamming" a database.

> Neil

I do much searching in the stripped.gz file
(flat not connected to the net yet).

best regards,   jj