a MUCH better photo of the icosahedron

Brendan McKay bdm at cs.anu.edu.au
Sun Dec 17 04:08:53 CET 2006

* Gerald McGarvey <Gerald.McGarvey at comcast.net> [061217 09:20]:

> A picture of Urdu numerals 0-9:
> http://members.fortunecity.com/mikecolley/langnum/num-urdu.gif

The same numerals are used in Iran, where they are called Persian.
Apart from a few different shapes, they are the same as Arabic numerals.

Now here is an interesting trivium: Even though Persian and Arabic
are written right to left, numbers are written left to right.
You are all about to jump up and tell me that the order of writing a
decimal positional system is arbitrary, so what I call left to right
might as well be called right to left starting at the high-order
digit. However, that is not correct and I reassert that numbers are
written left to right.  Can anyone guess what my proof is?

Brendan.

X-From_: owner-nmbrthry at LISTSERV.NODAK.EDU Sun Dec 17 04:26:33 2006