Why sequences of marginal interest are bad

Ralf Stephan ralf at ark.in-berlin.de
Mon Dec 18 09:37:49 CET 2006

*** Why are uninteresting sequences a problem for the OEIS?

Define YAPS = Yet another prime sequence

The problem is that the OEIS can be used for very different
purposes and, on one hand, the use of YAPS to advance the
YAPS' submitter's understanding of prime numbers (if at all),
is indirectly wreaking havoc with the other untold use of the
OEIS, namely, matching sequences with known 'formula' against
an unknown sequence to find possible conjectures for it.

*** You don't know how to find conjectures with the OEIS?

I won't repeat what I wrote in my paper so please refer to
http://arXiv.org/abs/math.CO/0409509
"Prove or Disprove. 100 Conjectures from the OEIS."

*** How are uninteresting sequences wreaking havoc with that goal?

Every one of these enlarges the database without a chance of more
conjectures to find, so finding conjectures becomes more difficult.

I hope I have improved your understanding of the REAL problem.

Regards,
ralf