Representations found by the greedy algorithm

Alec Mihailovs alec at mihailovs.com
Wed Dec 20 07:27:52 CET 2006

From: "Max A." <maxale at gmail.com>

> Theorem 2. For any non-negative integer N, there exists an unique
> representation
> N = c1*F(1) - c2*F(2) + c3*F(3) - ...
> where every coefficient is either 0 or 1 with no adjacent unit
> coefficients.

That is true also for negative integers and 0. I remember seeing it
somewhere called ternary Fibonacci number system, with a suggestion of using
it in computers instead of binary system. I couldn't find a reference
though. As far as I recall, in some Russian articles it was also called the
Mendeleev number system (following the idea that everything was invented in
Russia :) Again, I couldn't find a reference.

Alec