Endofunctions by indegree

Jonathan Post jvospost3 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 06:50:25 CET 2006

Mean Cycle Length and Mean Number of Predecessors
*
*We know asymptotically [Flajolet & Odlyzko, 19xx]; the mean cycle length
and mean number of predecessors of points in constrained random functional
graphs. But Prime endofunctions are not random.

The [see handwritten drawings and tables on yellow pad] calculated mean
cycle length of prime endomorphisms on n vertices, 1<n<8.

mu(2) = 3/2 = 1.5
mu(3) = 9/4 = 2.25
mu(4) = 15/7 = 2.143
mu(5) = 40/21 = 1.905
mu(6) = 55/23 = 2.391
mu(7) = 110/42 = 2.619

The [see other handwritten drawings and tables on yellow pad] calculated
mean number of predecessors over all vertices of prime endomorphisms on n
vertices, 1<n<8.

One can also calculate the "average tail length" of the direct graphs of
prime endofunctions.

cf: Bernhard Gittenbeger, "On the number of Predecessors in Constrained
Random Mappings"

Define omega(F(n)) on a functional graph F(n) with n points, as the average
number of preimages (or predecessors) of a vertex in F(n).  We know what
this is, asymptotically, on random functional graphs.  But prime
endofunctions are not random.  We easily computer pi(n) =
mean(omega(PrimeEndofunction(n))).

For n=2
B_2 (1,2)->(2,2): 1 has 0 preimages, 2 has 2, total = 2
C_2 (1,2)->(2,1): 1 has 2 primages, 2 has 2 preimages, total = 4
so Omega(2) = ((2+4)/2) = 3.

n = 3
(1,2,3)->(2,3,3) preimages = 0,1,2 total = 4
(1,2,3)->(2,2,2) preimages 0,0,0 total = 3
(1,2,3)->(2,3,2) preeimages 0,2,3 total = 5
(1,2,3)->(2,3,1) preimages 3,3,3 total = 9
so Omega(3) = ((4+3+5+9)/6) = 3.5

Coutier & Holden, p.2 rephrases:
"... x is a terminal node if f^(-1)=null set.  A node is an image node if it
is not a terminal node..."

after a bit of computing...

pi(2) = 6/2 = 3
pi(3) = 21/6 = 3.5
pi(4) = 63/7 = 9
pi(5) = 234/21 = 11.1429
pi(6) = 396/23 = 17.217391
pi(7) = 933/42 = 22.214285
These sequences of numerators and denominators are not "frac" seqs yet in
OEIS.