Permutations by total distance

Jonathan Post jvospost3 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 21:44:41 CET 2006

Permutations are a special case (isomorphism) of endomorphisms, themselves
enumerated in various ways in OEIS.  For random endomorphisms, we
asymptotically know [Flajolet & Odlyzko] the mean cycle length, and the mean
number of precedecessors of a random point in a random endomorphism.
Predecessors in the directed graph sense.  The adjacency matrix A(G)[i,j] of
a directed graph G, raised to an integer power k =< n, namely A^k(n) is the
number of directed walks from points i to point j in G. Flajolet & Odlyzko's
work has been extended to various kinds of restrictions to the randomness,
including for example random binary directed graphs. There's quite a bit of
related research.  I have many references, if this actually amtetrs to
answering your question.  I was at Caltech the same time as Andy Odlyzko,
the footnotes of whose papers I am not worthy to touch.

-- Jonathan Vos Post