The game of Quod

Mitch Harris Harris.Mitchell at mgh.harvard.edu
Tue Dec 19 19:48:12 CET 2006

> From: Joshua Zucker [mailto:joshua.zucker at gmail.com]
>
> Sets of four points in the 3x3 case that form a square:
> xxx
>
> There's only one square there, rotated 90 degrees.  There are only
> five points.  Does this make sense?
>
> Then in the 4x4 case:
>  xx
> xxxx
> xxxx
>  xx
>
> Looks like 5 squares of length 1, 4 squares of length sqrt(2), and 2
> squares of length sqrt(5), 11 total?  Yup.

Arghhh! Yes. My poor english skills. I didn't think of non-axis-parallel
squares. The original source probably specified.

Anyway, in trying tp make sense of this I found the following related
sequences:

  - squares on board with corners (i.e. not mutilated) is 4-dim pyramidal
numbers
     http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A002415

  - squares on board with corners -and- axis parallel (orthogonal) is sum
k^2
     http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A000330

  - squares on mutilated board, orthogonal (my faulty interpretation)
(not in OEIS) (not particularly exciting)

  - rectangles, board not mutilated, orthogonal (sum k^3)
     http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A000537

  - rectangles, board not mutilated
     http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A085582

> On 12/18/06, Mitchell A. Harris <maharris at partners.org> wrote:
> > OK. That's what I think too. But is what I calculate below
> make sense? It is
> > different from what you say comes from Ian Stewart's book.
> How about just
> > that simplest case of 3x3? I think it is 5 but the Borris
> polynomial (the
> > OEIS entry gives 1.
> > Any ideas?
> >

> > On 12/18/06 6:17 PM, "Joshua Zucker"
> <joshua.zucker at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Squares are sets of four spots on the nxn board that make a square
> > > does that help?
> > > --Joshua Zucker

Borris