Representations found by the greedy algorithm

Alec Mihailovs alec at mihailovs.com
Wed Dec 20 08:02:41 CET 2006

From: "Max A." <maxale at gmail.com>

> I've never heard of the ternary Fibonacci number system. But simply
> "ternary number system" is a known beast. In the balanced form (with
> the digit set {0,-1,1}) it was implemented in hardware in Setun
> computer back in 1970-th. See
> http://hitechravlik.blogspot.com/2006_08_01_hitechravlik_archive.html
>
> In Russian literature, Mendeleev is related again to the ternary number
> system
> e.g., see Section 11 in
> http://www.math.ru/lib/book/pdf/mp-seria/book.29.pdf

Yes, I know. I used to teach in some specialized math high schools in Russia
in 70th
and 80th and it was one of standard topics there. It was in some of "popular
math"
Russian books, like Perelman's, maybe. I vaguely remember that and maybe
I am mistaken - if I had my Russian library, I would be able to check, but
it is
still there, unfortunately.

Alec