Representations found by the greedy algorithm

Jonathan Post jvospost3 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 09:03:52 CET 2006

The way that I remember the Russian balanced trinary computing, the premise
was that 3 came closer to "e" than did 2, so trinary should in some sense be
closer to optimal than binary. I don't know the Russian for "flip-flap-flop"
as better than flip-flop, in circuitry.  The tale was that the advantage was
wasted in a clumsy representation of decimal in the new system. Of course,
that was a tale during the Cold War (say when I was at Caltech 1968-1973),
possibly promulgated as a joke by John Todd, Oliver Selfridge, or another
fiend of Alan Turing's,  and could easily have been disparagement, or
disinformation.