terminology for square roots

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Wed Dec 27 00:57:32 CET 2006

Let me expand on the inner and outer square root idea.  If n = Product
p_i^e_i, then the true square root is Product p_i^(e_i/2).  The inner
square root is Product p_i^floor(e_i/2), while the outer square root is
Product p_i^ceiling(e_i/2).  And the inner square root times the outer
square root is the original number.

Similarly, we can define 3 integer cube roots: the inner cube root
(A053150) is Product p_i^floor(e_i/3), the central cube root (not in
OEIS) is Product p_i^round(e_i/3), and the outer cube root (A019555) is
Product p_i^ceiling(e_i/3).  The product of all 3 cube roots is the
original number.

In general, there are m integer mth roots of n, indexed by k with 0 <=
k < m, as Product p_i^floor((e_i+k)/m); and the product of all m roots
will be the original number.  All of these are multiplicative functions.

(When m is composite, the mth roots can be defined by composing the dth
and (m/d)th roots for a factor d of m.  Writing the root as
IntRoot(n,m,k), we have IntRoot(n,m,k) = IntRoot(IntRoot(n, d,
mod(k,d)), m/d, floor(k/d)).  This reflects the identity floor((e+k)/m)
= floor((floor((e + mod(k,d)) / d)  + floor(k/d)) / (m/d)).)

Franklin T. Adams-Watters