a(n)=Number of Unique Matrix Products in (A+B+C)^n When {A,B}=0

Paul D. Hanna pauldhanna at juno.com
Fri Feb 3 13:26:22 CET 2006

Seqfans,
       Excuse me, this is obviously incorrect:
> Example:  if A,B anti-commute, {A,B}=AB+BA=0,
> then (A+B)^n has 2^[(n+1)/2] distinct parts (g.f. (1+2x)/(1-2x^2)).
I think the formula I gave was for total number of parts, not distinct.
Distinct number of parts I believe will be [(n+1)/2],
about half that if A,B were to commute.

The number of total parts becomes interesting when anti-commuting letters
are among among commuting letters;
example, what is:

a(n) = number of parts, not necessarily distinct, in (A+B+C)^n
where A,B, anti-commute, while A,B commute with C:

Paul