Suggestions for plotting-utility, etc. Was: Notes on the OEIS, Feb 14 2006

Antti Karttunen antti.karttunen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 17:00:53 CET 2006

Ed Pegg Jr wrote:

> You could use Mathematica:
> http://www.maa.org/editorial/mathgames/mathgames_12_08_03.html
>
> Eric has many of these in MathWorld now.  For example,
> http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SquareNumber.html
>
> It's a handy way to visually take in hundreds of large numbers all at
> once.

Would not it be better to run it at the user's end, to avoid (excessive)
load on AT&T's machines?
In which case one had to use Java or some other language that runs in
popular browsers.

And also, I think people suggested an ordinary plot, i.e. a graph
(possibly with some auto-logarithmic-scaling, as the magnitudes of OEIS
sequences
vary wildly!), not that Leibnizque/Wolframic "binary expansion plot". Of
course both would be nice.
Furthermore, some simple transformations (like BISECT, +1, -1, convert
to binary or base-k representation, etc.)
that users could do (at their browser end, or at the server end), and then
do further searches with those sequences, would be nice as well.

Terveisin,

Antti Karttunen