TR : Re : The OEIS will be on holiday for the rest of the year!

Alexandre Wajnberg alexandre.wajnberg at skynet.be
Sat Jan 7 17:52:26 CET 2006

Hi all,

How do we define quality in a jumbling of integers?
> Why don't we use
> other words like beauty? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder? How is one
> formula or generating
> algorithm more or less beautiful or have more quality than another? Who can
> be so arrogant as to ordain, decree quality on one insignificant concoction
> over another?

Thank you, Cino, for your beautiful chant for the human spirit.

This debate is very important and interesting besides its passion which
shows OEIS is very important for each of us, at different levels.

These tensions are arising because of the diverse meanings we attribute to
OEIS and the diverse uses we make of it.

One of the hidden properties of the base, for me, is that it stimulates our
scientific creativity. Each time somebody enters the base, whatever his
goal, while doing what he has to do, enriches his spirit and/or his
mathematical skills.
Whatever the "quality" of the sequences. For instances:

%S A039928 1,3,3,0,10,12,1,24,25,32,116,12,412,109, ...
%N A039928 Sum of first n terms of A_n (using absolute values of terms).

...has this extraordinary feature of surprise, it shakes the usual way of
thinking, forcing the mind of the reader to get out of his mental frame; a
process which is one of the definitions of creativity, and one of its tools!

Who knows which really deeper mathematical idea could appear, later, in
another part of the world, "rooted" in such a type of mental algorithm!
An algorithm nevertheless expressed by this useless
"since-the-sequences-in-the-OEIS-occasionally-change-their-initial-terms-(fo
r-editorial-reasons)-especially-ill-defined" sequence!

Also, about the "bad" sequences, it's the problem of the half full, half
empty bottle: one may criticize some sequences of an author, one may also
acknowledge the interesting others of his production.
If "bad" sequences where forbidden, anyway, a lot of contributors would not
dare to submit any sequences, even "good" ones may be!

As a screenplaywriter, I used to learn that one of the basic laws of
collective creativity is first to accept a so-called "bad" idea of a member
of the team. Because it's impossible to know in advance what will arise as
by-products/consequences/inductions from it. If you refuse a "bad" idea, you
stay at the same place; around you, the vue is the same, and is inspiring
you the same way, i.e. "badly" since it gave you a "bad" idea!
While accepting it, you go forward, the vue changes, and then also the
resonances with your mind. It's impossible to evaluate the importance of
this phenomenon.

In a letter to Legendre, Carl Jacobi said: "It is true that Fourier has the
opinion that the principal object of mathematics is the public utility and
the explanation of natural phenomena, but a scientist like him ought to know
that the unique object of science is the honor of the human spirit, and on
this basis, a question of the theory of numbers is worth as much as a
question about the planetary system."

May be could this be applied mutatis mutandis to the "utility" of certain
sequences.
Of course, from a short-term point of view, these are rendering the searches
more difficult. But from a longer-term point of view, there is an invaluable
"return" through this permanent stimulation.

Now, there is the problem of those systematic repeatitive numerological easy
base sequences only there, it seems, to satisfy the only pleasure of their
only author (some of mine are in this case)...  Should they really be
accepted? They are! Then "Dumb" is a useful keyword, which should not be
taken as a personnal judgement, but rather as a tool to the search engine.
BTW, how to do a search in the new engine, excluding an item (as it is
possible with the boolean old engine)?
And why are at least no less interessant sequences than supra not accepted?
(ex: 1903, 2303, 2307, 2311, 2315... "Exceptional years of 23rd december's
winter solstice since the beginning of the Gregorian Calendar in 1582" is no
less interessant than a "word" sequence).

Anyway, what would be a shortened base?! We can't build THE base and at the
same time complain there are too much sequences or too much "bad" sequences!
In french, we say "You can't have the butter and the money from the butter!"
(and some add "and the smile of the dairymaid!").

However,with the new search engine, this problem is partly solved.

And thanks to Neil and al., with the wonderful new search engine, we fly!

We fly and it will be more work for the maintainers of the base and for
Neil!
So we can't avoid the question of their work-pression; it's part of the
actual frictions. Should we be indulgent to Neil? even if sometimes, he
seems not to consider the bad feelings (sadness, shame, anger...) which may
be produced by a hard word... while everybody try to do his best.
And when some cool explanations would be more adapted in most cases.

Please Neil, Protect us from Your Lightnings while the base is enlighting
us!

Alexandre.

PS: Cino, about the fun and the Eurêka!, I think I'm one of the members of
your club!

------ Fin du message transféré