Musical sequence

David Wilson davidwwilson at comcast.net
Wed Jan 18 19:40:37 CET 2006

In general music theory, we hold to the concept of an octave, specifically, that
if a musical scale includes a tone of frequency f, it also includes a tone of
frequency 2f.

What if we abandon the notion of octave, but keep the idea of equally spaced
tones, so that our scale can be described by base tone frequency b and a ratio r
between adjacent tones on the scale.

Is there a measure of goodness of r that would rate r = 2^(1/12) high?
Presumably this rating would be based on the closeness of tone ratios to simple
rationals which represent pleasing harmonies.  Given this rating, what would be
the best r?  If we return to octave-based scales, could be construct a sequence
of t with increasingly better ratings of 2^(1/t), which would represent
increasingly good choices for number of tones in an octave?