automatons over 1-symbol alphabet

Roland Bacher Roland.Bacher at ujf-grenoble.fr
Tue Jan 10 16:15:55 CET 2006

Nice problem!

A related question:

what is known in the symmetric case (maximal number of
distinct subsets S(0)=*, S(1),S(2), where S(k) is the set
of vertices reachable in k steps starting at a given
initial vertex * in a symmetric graph with n vertices)?

By the way, this problem is closely related to correspondence algebras
on finite sets:

Consider n times n matrices with all entries >= 0. Call the set
of strictly >0 entries the support supp(A) of such a matrix A.
It is obvious that supp(AB) of the matrix product AB of two such
matrices depends only on supp(A) and supp(B). We get thus a
product-law on all 2^(n^2) possible supports which is
(easily seen to be) associative.

This yields a semi-group CS(n) whose semi-group algebra is the
correspondence algebra on n elements.

I call this semi-group the "correspondence semi-group"
(I ignore if it has already a perhaps different name!)

The above question asks for the maximal number N=N(A) (for
A a positive matrix as above, representing an element of the
semi-group CS(n)) such that the supports

supp(J),supp(AJ),supp(A^2J),...,supp(A^(N-1)J)

are all different where J is a positive non-zero (n times n) matrix
whose support contains only entries in the first row.

Related problems:

- Consider only matrices with symmetric support (my question above).

- Count the maximal possible number of different supports
supp(A),supp(A^2),supp(A^3),... for A in CS(n). (One might call
this the "maximal order" of a cyclic semigroup in the
correspondence semi-group CS(n)).

- Same question for semi-groups generated by 2,3,4,.. elements in CS(n).

- Number of minimal generators necessary for generating the entire
semi-group CS(n).

- One might also ask some of these questions for elements in
the semi-group algebra (whose elements are linear combinations
of supports, addition is the obvious one by adding coefficients
corresponding to identical supports, multiplication is by
extending the semi-group product linearly).

I have however no idea (and unfortunately also no time)
for attacking these problems.

Best whishes,   Roland Bacher