Basic questions?

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Tue Jan 17 22:41:47 CET 2006

The formula I gave is deg(D)+deg(N)+1.  Now, if deg(D)>=deg(N), this is <= 2*deg(D)+1, so Ralf's claim is rather trivially correct.  Actually, you usually want deg(D)>deg(N), which gives the originally quoted bound of 2*deg(D).

Sequences a(n) and b(n) have the same e.g.f iff a(n)/n! and b(n)/n! have the same e.g.f., so exactly the same formula applies.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters
16 W. Michigan Ave.
Palatine, IL 60067
847-776-7645