TR : Re : The OEIS will be on holiday for the rest of the year!

N. J. A. Sloane njas at research.att.com
Sat Jan 21 14:48:25 CET 2006

 Alexandre Wajnberg posted a very interesting message on Jan 9
to which I never replied.  He said, among other things:

> BTW, how to do a search in the new engine, excluding an item (as it is
> possible with the boolean old engine)?

Answer: put a minus sign in front of that part of the search string.

E.g.:   keyword:nice keyword:more -keyword:base

See the new "hints" page for more information.

(I would appreciate suggestions for more hints to be added to that page)

> And why are at least no less interessant sequences than supra not accepted?
> (ex: 1903, 2303, 2307, 2311, 2315... "Exceptional years of 23rd december's
> winter solstice since the beginning of the Gregorian Calendar in 1582" is no
> less interessant than a "word" sequence).

OK, I can see that I would wrong to exclude that - please send it again!

> So we can't avoid the question of their work-pression; it's part of the
> actual frictions. Should we be indulgent to Neil? even if sometimes, he
> seems not to consider the bad feelings (sadness, shame, anger...) which may
> be produced by a hard word... while everybody try to do his best.
> And when some cool explanations would be more adapted in most cases.
>
> Please Neil, Protect us from Your Lightnings while the base is enlighting
> us!

OK, I take the point!   Sorry!

Neil