Uncertain sequences (was Re: TR : Re : The OEIS will be on holiday for the rest of the year!)

Brendan McKay bdm at cs.anu.edu.au
Sun Jan 22 19:34:22 CET 2006

* N. J. A. Sloane <njas at research.att.com> [060123 03:11]:
> Jaap Spies says:
>
> There is another uncertain factor in the calculations and that is
> the planetary model. Some calculations use the VSOP 87 model and
> others depend on the JPL ephemerides from NASA.
>
> What policy do you have with sequences that may be changing in time?

I don't agree that this sequence changes with time.  Only our
estimate of it changes with time.  There is in fact an algorithm
for computing it correctly - wait for each event to happen.  This
is a rather slow algorithm, but an algorithm nevertheless.  We can
present the early terms as certain and later terms as conjectures,
like we do with many sequences.

Brendan.