Convolution Semi-Square

Christian G.Bower bowerc at usa.net
Tue Jan 24 01:09:28 CET 2006

I usually call that transform E_2.  Although a quick search of the EIS shows
me that is probably not a good name to avoid confustion.  I gave an example of
it in the formula line for A003080.

I got the name from the Bergeron/Labelle/Leroux book (on the references line
of A003080) where "E" is the species of sets (E for the exponential nature of
such compositions) and 2 for limiting the number to exactly 2 of them.

B/L/L at one point uses the term symmetric square for this operation (as a
species operation, thus equally applicable to the unlabeled version here and
the labeled version A(x)^2/2 applied to the e.g.f.)

I would lean to names SET_2, SET_UNLABELED_2, EULER_2 (to show its relation to
the EULER transform.)

I have a library of transforms that need some EIS expression some day.

Christian