Permutation Its Own Inverse?

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Thu Jul 13 06:48:06 CEST 2006

Here's a sketch.

First of all, since ceiling(n/k) is monotonically decreasing in k, no
value less than ceiling(n/k) can have occurred, and for the first
instance of a ceiling(n/k) = j, j itself cannot have occurred
previously.  This latter immediately implies that the first instance of
ceiling(n/k) = j will have T(n,k) = j.  Duplicate values can only occur
when k > sqrt(n), and exactly the initial values are the ones occurring
before sqrt(n).  A simple counting argument shows that T(n,k) must then
= k for the non-initial values.

My apologies if that seems a bit cryptic.  It would probably take a
couple of pages to write it out in full.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters