Divisors of n within binary n

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Mon Jun 12 22:21:25 CEST 2006

You can get a more than that trivially.  If n is in this sequence, so
is 2n.  So the real question is, are there infinitely many members of
the sequence which are not twice a previous element?  So far, you've
got 1, 3, and 10.

In fact, any number of the form 2^(2n-1) + 2^(n-1) is in the sequence.
This sequence is A007582:

1,3,10,36,136,528,...

Suppose that n has 3 or more 1's in its binary representation.  Take
the substring from the first through the next to last 1 (or the second
through the last); call this m.  Then n can be represented as 2^u*m +
2^v, and m is an odd number greater than 1.  It follows that m does not
divide n.

So any member of Leroy's sequence can have at most 2 1's in its binary
representation.  For numbers with 2 1's, there must clearly be at least
as many zeros at the end as between the two 1's, so the solutions are
precisely the numbers A007582(k)*2^u.  The sequence can alternatively
be described as all numbers of the form 2^a + 2^b, where 0 <= b <= a <=
2b+1.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters