Triangles with given inradius, A057721

Graeme McRae g_m at mcraefamily.com
Tue Jun 13 00:22:28 CEST 2006

Mathworld has an article on Heronian Triangles in which a parameterized
formula is given that gives all rational-sided triangles with rational area.
Using integer values for the parameters, and scaling down all triangles that
are not "primitive" (in this sense, primitive means no common divisor among
the sides or inradius), I was able to quickly generate all the primitive
triangles with inradii 1, 2, 3, ... up to 12.

The number of primitive integer-sided triangles for each radius is 1, 4, 12,
13, 14, 28, 23, 27, 38, 32, 25, 81.  Can someone check that?

Then, assuming that's right, the total number of triangles is the sum of the
primitive triangles for the given radius plus those of all the radii that
are factors of the given radius.  So, for example, when the inradius is 12,
the number of triangles is 81+1+4+12+13+28=139 -- that is, the 81 primitive
triangles plus the primitive triangles for each of 12's factors 1, 2, 3, 4,
and 6.

Using this method, the sequence of integer-sided triangles with inradius n
is 1, 5, 13, 18, 15, 45, 24, 45, 51, 51, 26, 139.  Can someone check that,
too?

Then, after someone has verified these numbers, I will go ahead and extend
A120062, and add the reference to mathworld, along with the method of
calculating the sequence.  I will also do a superseeker, and then submit
another sequence (and/or comment an existing sequence) that contains just
the primitive triangles, and cross-reference them to each other.  Thanks
very much!