Global maximum of ?(x)-x : local maximum between .42 and .5

Gerald McGarvey Gerald.McGarvey at comcast.net
Thu Jun 15 05:37:27 CEST 2006

I'm considering using the box function (started on it but not finished) and
programming the search for the maximum/minimum in a given interval,
using PARI. I don't know if using PARI will suffice or if Mathematica or
Maple is required to get sufficient precision. If PARI is up to the job, it
will take me some time to program the automation of the search, I'll have
to learn some more PARI programming. I might need some guidance
from a PARI wizard (if anyone would like to volunteer).

This web page (a rough, unfinished draft that might contain errors):
http://www.linas.org/math/chap-minkowski/chap-minkowski.html
made me start to realize how deep this function is (I only understand some
of it).
This function is a real beauty.

It does seem to be of considerable interest and worthy of effort to pursue
this.

- Gerald