Polyomino question 2

Dr. Gordon Hamilton hamiltonian at shaw.ca
Wed Mar 1 21:34:51 CET 2006

Darn it - you're right after all - a 9-square solution does contain all the
pentominoes. Amazing - the
school children usually pick up on my mistakes, but this time I'll have to
tell them a real mathematician found it ;)

Here is another tough sequence (see "un-Babushka Squares" on
www.galileo.org/math/puzzles.html)

A polyomino eats smaller polyominos that fit into it.  I want an infinite
set of such polyominos none of which eat each other and built by maximizing
the number of triominos, P(3), then by maximizing the number of tetrominos,
P(4), then by maximizing the number of pentominos, P(5), etc.

All I have is that P(1) = P(2) = P(3) = 0 and P(4) = 2.

Gord!