Matrixexponential and Normaldistribution/Gauss' function (II)

Paul D. Hanna pauldhanna at juno.com
Sun Mar 5 02:38:00 CET 2006

Gottfried (and Seqfans),
> With another important known function the matrix-exponential
> can be associated to provide an extremely simple structure.
     Yes, the diagonals of a triangle are directly related to the
e.g.f. of the columns of the matrix exponential of that triangle.

If we construct a lower triangular matrix T in the following way:
    T(k,k)=0 (zeros in main diagonal);
    T(n+k,k) = d(k)*C(n+k,k) for k>0  (k-th secondary diagonal)
                      for any arbitrary sequence of coefficients d(k),
Then exp(T) = E  is given by:
     E(n,k) = e(n-k)*C(n,k)
where {e(n)| n>=0} has e.g.f.:
     Sum_{n>=0} e(n)/n!*x^n = Sum_{n>=1} d(n)*x^n/n!
         = exp( d(1)*x + d(2)*x^2/2! + d(3)*x^3/3! +...)
Thus, each k-th diagonal of T has its contribution simply as d(k)*x^k/k!
in the e.g.f. of column 0.

I am sure there is a simple formula for the e.g.f. of T and E
when they have the above form (using binomial coefficients).

There are various examples of this in the OEIS, as you have observed.

Paul