Diagonal/Non-diagonal Grid Filling

Leroy Quet qq-quet at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 6 17:52:39 CET 2006

By the way, I heard that there were some problems with seq.fan, so others
probably discovered the following result and posted it before me, I bet.
But I have not seen a proof for all even n's.

I have a simple proof that shows that any grid of (2n)-by-(2n) can be
filled in completely, assuming that the path is allowed to cross itself
(which it can only do on diagonal sections).

It can be best illustrated with an example:
(For n = 8)

1  2 17 18 33 34 49 50
3 16 19 32 35 48 51 64
4 15 20 31 36 47 52 63
14 5 30 21 46 37 62 53
13 6 29 22 45 38 61 54
7 12 23 28 39 44 55 60
8 11 24 27 40 43 56 59
10 9 26 25 42 41 58 57

Generally, we can have as many "towers" (of 2 squares width each, and of
any even number of squares high) as we want.

Which grids are possible to fill in completely, however, if the path is
not allowed to cross itself?

thanks,
Leroy Quet