Diagonal/Non-diagonal Grid Filling

Leroy Quet qq-quet at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 10 23:23:22 CET 2006

OK, here is a question and idea for a sequence related to the recently
discussed problem.

With the rules of the puzzle (non-diagonal alternating with diagonal move
to empty squares) on the (2n)-by-(2n) grid, it has been shown that the
grid can be filled entirely (and we can start anywhere), if we allow the
path to cross itself (at diagonal sections of the path).

So, for the (2n)-by-(2n) grid, what is the minimum number of crossings
needed to be able to land on every square of the grid exactly once?

Sequence begins: 0, 1,...

4-by-4 example, with one crossing:

1  3  5  6
2  4  7  8
12 10 9 15

Or we can ask about the sequence where a(n) relates to the n-by-n grid
(instead of the (2n)-by-(2n) grid), but we want to know the minimum
number of crossings to get the maximum possible number of landed-on
squares.

thanks,
Leroy Quet