request for advice

Jim Nastos nastos at cs.ualberta.ca
Sat Mar 11 10:41:56 CET 2006

Hi all,
Since the OEIS, on the submission page, writes:

> IMPORTANT: Thousands of people use the sequence database every day.
> Please take great care that the terms you send are absolutely correct.
> The standards are those of a mathematics reference work.

then I don't see why the OEIS shouldn't use the same filtering standards
the mathematical journals take. That is: reserving the right to reject any
submissions that are not relevant enough, interesting enough, or rigorous
enough (I'm sure that one who sends a large quantity of sequences probably
sacrifices a lot of quality in providing, say, full and complete
and descriptive names to sequences and even sacrifices correctness or
completeness. 'Completeness' here can allude to the submission of only a
handful of terms when it is clear that 40 or so terms can be produced.)

I say that the OEIS should take on the strict policies that respected
publications do, without the need to create an exhaustive list of what can
or cannot be submitted. A referee is free to use his or her own discretion
as to what is a satisfactory submission.