request for advice

Marc LeBrun mlb at fxpt.com
Sat Mar 11 21:54:30 CET 2006

Up to now, I've always advocated a very permissive policy, arguing
that the effort of submitting even a dull sequence showed that it was
*interesting* at least to the submitter (recall that "all interesting
sequences" is the published criteria for the OEIS).

But obviously something needs to be done now about abusive
submissions, so here's my 2 cents:

* To give a policy rationale (though none is really needed) I think a
reasonable position to take is that a sequence whose *only*
motivation is simply to be submitted does *not* even pass the minimal
"interesting test" described above--because it's the act of
submission, and *not* the boring sequence itself, which is of
interest to the submitter (whether from knavishness, naivete or
whatever reason).  Thus it fails for lack of any demonstrated
interest, and can so be excluded.

* I believe the understandable impulse to "depersonalize" everything
via legislating detailed criteria, while well-intentioned, is
ultimately ineffective.  A society can make all the laws it wants,
but if it never locks up any specific criminals for violating them
it's a pretty futile exercise.  Worse, proliferating rules just
provides an opportunity for an abusive submitter to waste even more
valuable time arguing the fine points of interpretation and coming up
with ever-more clever forms of transgression.

Therefore I think NJAS as editor should adopt some mechanism to
classify submitters based on whether they are average good citizens,
have committed unfortunate misdemeanors or are hardened felons:

   Normal--submissions processed normally, given benefit of the doubt

   Restricted--submitter has been informed that volume/quality of
submissions needs to improve (perhaps restricted to one-a-day etc)

   Blocked--submissions are ignored, based on previously proven bad
cost/benefit of wasting time with them

Of course NJAS could also decide any time he wants that a submitter
has been sufficiently rehabilitated and reduce the restrictions.

Many people who make missteps will quickly try to correct things;
some well-meaning but misguided submitters simply won't ever "get it"
and need to remain restricted; and a few will be just outright
hostile or crazy and have to be blocked.  Such is life.

* Not everybody contributes to the OEIS in the same way, and we need
some slack to accommodate variance.  For example I often go for long
stretches without submitting, then wander into some fruitful orchard
and wind up submitting a half-dozen or more strongly-related
sequences.  Indeed, it's vital that I do all the submissions at once
in a burst of focused effort; if I had to spread it out for a week or
more the hassle would be insurmountable.

* Not everybody uses the OEIS in the same way, and we need to avoid
projecting our own preferences too much.  For example I only rarely
use it plain seeker-style, asking "What the heck is this particular
sequence?" and look it up directly.  It's nice when I can, but what's
much more valuable to me is superseeker-style, where the query is
"I'm interested in this sequence, what can you tell me about any
relations it might have to other known sequences?".

I mention this once again because this talk of "let's try to reduce
and canonicalize the sequences as much as possible" always makes me
nervous.  Such reductions will also *reduce* the probability that
important connections will be found by the machinery.  For example,
the starting offset in seeker-style isn't that big a deal, it just
means you might get slightly different terms right at the
beginning.  But it can make a huge difference in superseeker-style,
for things like the Mobius transforms, which are exquisitely
sensitive to how the a(n) sequence elements are "registered" with respect to n.

I'm not arguing for a lot of fluff, just asking that this effect be
considered carefully when removal or consolidation of *interesting*
sequences is proposed.  We ought to strive to keep the OEIS
machine-friendly, as well as user-friendly.

* I agree with the comments that some serious thought should be given
to the OEIS as an ongoing institution of human culture, and what
technology would further that.  But this is a much larger discussion
for another time.

* I've been sending sequences to NJAS for a while now--since the time
the "HIS" was only in hardcopy--and have always considered it a huge
honor for any of my contributions to be incorporated.  Consequently,
I spend as much effort as I possibly can to make these offerings as
perfect as possible before submitting them.

It seems that, if we're lately getting more people who view it
instead as a kind of newsgroup--where they can win cheap points by
sending the most spam--then perhaps there's something we can do to
better communicate its real nature and significance.  People don't
splash graffiti on the things they truly respect and value.

Suggstions?  Should we post more testimonials from users like
ourselves, for example?