request for advice

Henry Gould gould at math.wvu.edu
Sun Mar 12 18:35:01 CET 2006

Dear Neil and everyone else,

Thus we have come again to that point that reminds me of the famous old
problem of defining "interesting numbers". As we all should know, the
difficulty is that ALL positive, real numbers are interesting. Indeed.
consider the two sets A and B, where A is the set of all interesting
positive numbers, and B is the set of all uninteresting positive, real
numbers. Then, by the well-ordering principle, there is a smallest
element in the set B, so that by the usual vague definition, then that
smallest element has been misclassified and belongs in the set A.
Repeating the process we soon realize that all positive, real numbers
are interesting. Mutatis mutandis, we can make a proof that all
sequences are ipso facto interesting. It will be very difficult to cull
out "uninteresting" sequences.
Neil. as he continues to develop this super-exponentiating database,
will become the Ramanujan of Sequences, the Man Who Knew All the
Sequences! I think the same difficulty arises when we make a table of
all interesting "whatevers".
I have been hesitant to send in what I believe are trivial and
uninteresting sequences. yet understand fully that one Seqfan's junk is
another Seqfan's golden nugget.
Good luck in getting a common ground.

Henry Gould