request for advice

Henry Gould gould at math.wvu.edu
Mon Mar 13 00:58:23 CET 2006

Jim Nastos wrote:
> On 3/12/06, Henry Gould <gould at math.wvu.edu> wrote:
>
>> Indeed.
>> consider the two sets A and B, where A is the set of all interesting
>> positive numbers, and B is the set of all uninteresting positive, real
>> numbers. Then, by the well-ordering principle, there is a smallest
>> element in the set B, so that by the usual vague definition, then that
>> smallest element has been misclassified and belongs in the set A.
>>

> Two problems:
> 1) you don't say why the 'smallest element' has been misclassified (it
> is because it is interesting that there is a smallest number, thus
> making that number interesting.)
> 2) you cannot apply the well-ordering principle to real numbers,
> especially not the set of positive real numbers.

RIGHT!  S O R R Y !
I had not had my morning seven cups of coffee. All natural numbers are
interesting. The smallest uninteresting natural number, of course,  has
to be interesting since it is the smallest uninteresting natural number,

I wonder how then can we say that every real number is interesting????
There has to be a way to do this.

Henry