Well-ordering follow-up

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Mon Mar 13 01:14:00 CET 2006

Actually, it doesn't work (at least for the reals).  It is possible
(given the axiom of choice) to well-order the real numbers, but it
isn't possible to *specify* such an ordering.  So you can't identify a
number as "the least uninteresting real number under <whatever> well
ordering", because you can't fill in the <whatever>.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters
16 W. Michigan Ave.
Palatine, IL 60067
847-776-7645