what to do when you only know a few terms

Gordon Royle gordon at csse.uwa.edu.au
Tue Mar 14 01:48:01 CET 2006

On 13/03/2006, at 10:00 PM, N. J. A. Sloane wrote:

> Me:  The solution is to download the section of the database
> which includes the sequences which begin with your terms
> (you can do this from the Welcome page), and then you can search
> around
> for words (graph, tree, etc.) that match what you are looking for.

While I appreciate the advice, I'd just like to indicate (at the risk
of sounding like a broken record) that this is an example of what I
mean by the declining utility of the OEIS....  the academic user
increasingly needs to take additional steps or perform post-
processing or whatever in order to extract the genuine sequences from
the "write-only" sequences of the serial submitters. It may not be
much work, and it may not occur too often, but it seems to be
happening more and more, which gradually makes me use it less
frequently as an exploratory or speculative tool.

This is why I feel that the role of the OEIS needs to be clarified -
if it is essentially an academic/serious hobbyist resource, then the
utility to these users should be the first priority, with other uses
being  designed to have minimal impact on this. If you feel that it
now has broader appeal as a sort of general recreational site, then
that would entail different design decisions.

Of course, it's pretty obvious what I would prefer, but I may well be
in the minority.

Cheers

Gordon