new keyword: probation

Olivier Gerard ogerard at ext.jussieu.fr
Wed Mar 15 14:00:59 CET 2006

On 3/14/06, zak seidov <zakseidov at yahoo.com> wrote:

> PS2 I wonder can the editors and the most active users
> (not authors!) select say 1000 (less than 1% of all
> SEQ's) their favorite/important entries in OEIS.
> It'd be very much instructive to peruse such lists.

You can already start by pondering most of the "core" sequences
which of course include very basic ones (like the integers).
Currently 134 sequences have this category.

http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/?q=keyword%3acore&fmt=1&sort=0<http://www.research.att.com/%7Enjas/sequences/?q=keyword%3acore&fmt=1&sort=0>

http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/Sindx_Cor.html#core
<http://www.research.att.com/%7Enjas/sequences/Sindx_Cor.html#core>

Two of my favorites in the core group are

http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A000609<http://www.research.att.com/%7Enjas/sequences/A000609>

http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A002106<http://www.research.att.com/%7Enjas/sequences/A002106>

and reflect part of my personal interests in mathematics. They are both
challenging to compute, describe very basic objects (as individual as
prime numbers) and links to many other sequences and deep problems.

An example of sequence I don't care about as a mathematician is

http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A115380<http://www.research.att.com/%7Enjas/sequences/A115380>

Every Seqfan is free to make a commented list of his favorite sequences.
I would be happy to host such lists as html pages for members who would like
it.
Please contact me off-list if you are interested. This paragraph is not
intended
to start multiple threads on the mailing list about everyone's favorites. If
you want
to make such a sequence list, please build a page or write an essay. If you
come up
with new observations and relations between sequences, please submit
them too with the OEIS comment form.

NB: In view of the recent activity engendered by Neil messages
about troubles with editing the OEIS and his new policy it may be useful
to recall that the usage on the list is to make short messages, with
care to wording and organization of ideas, quoting only relevant
passages of previous posts.  Message with some scientific content
are strongly prefered over random opinion pieces.

Olivier