: new keyword: probation

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Wed Mar 15 23:54:50 CET 2006

OK; but that is quite explicitly not a mathematical sequence.  On the other hand, check out:

http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A028866

It's mathematical, but it combines 3 unrelated mathematical ideas: one intrinsically not very interesting (sorted digits), one way overdone in the OEIS (primes), and one fundamental but pretty trivial (squares); and it doesn't do anything interesting with them.  I can't imagine any possible mathematical use for this sequence.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters

P.S. I have sometimes thought that there ought to be a keyword for sequences (like A115380) which are "real-world" instead of mathematical.  Note that the origin of the sequence is not a perfect indicator of this: there are plenty of sequences from areas like crystallography that are purely mathematical in character.