: new keyword: probation

Olivier Gerard ogerard at ext.jussieu.fr
Thu Mar 16 08:39:25 CET 2006

On 3/16/06, Marc LeBrun <mlb at fxpt.com> wrote:

> > On the other hand, check out: [A028866]
> > I can't imagine any possible mathematical use for this sequence.
>
> Good grief, the silliness has progressed further than I had imagined!
> (And that one apparently doesn't even have the "base" keyword asserted).

The definition of A028866 ought to have the precision that this is a base 10
version
of this idea.   Marc, Frank, don't be too quick in discarding A028866. It
can lead
to non-trivial questions. One of the more direct ones :  what can we say
about the asymptotic growth rate of this sequence ?  On another side,
with a little imagination and ingenuity, one may even design a few
recreational problems based on it.

I may plead guilty because I feel that I have proposed more silly ones in
the
past. One must also take into account the low A-number, which gives an idea
of the
time it was submitted.  The perspective on the OEIS has changed several
times.

Olivier