Mazes. & Coprime Grids

Leroy Quet qq-quet at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 17 18:03:39 CET 2006

By the way...

Regarding my maze question:

According to
http://www.astrolog.org/labyrnth/glossary.htm

the type of maze I am wondering about, where there is exactly one path
from any square in the maze to any other square, is called a "perfect
maze".

If we did not require the mazes to not in any way be perfect, or even to
have a solution, then the maze counting is easy.
For m-by-n grid, we have 2^(m+n-2) mazes, each one of the patterns
created by turning inner wall segments either on or off.
(So even the following would be a legal maze under this scheme.)
:)

!    -------+
!           !
+---+   +   +
!           !
!   +   +---+

==

Regarding coprime-grid question.

We could also ask about grids with toroidal topology.
(Elements at top row must be coprime to respective elements in bottom
row; elements in left column must also be coprime to respective elements
in right column.)

thanks,
Leroy Quet