A086833

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Thu Mar 23 20:50:18 CET 2006

While that might be an interesting sequence, it seems unlikely that that is what the author intended for this sequence.  In particular, a(2^m) = m for the values shown (m>0), and one could hardly believe that that was the last addend of any shortest addition chain for 2^n.

I think I may have figured this out.  Look at all shortest addition chains for n, and express them in this sum form.  Count how many different addends appear in each chain, and take the minimum.  This at least matches the first few values and the 2^n case.

There is, of course, a problem with this definition: not every addition chain can be put into this form; it assumes that each term adds to the previous term (i.e., that we are dealing with a Brauer chain).  12509 is the smallest number which does not have a shortest addition chain with this property.

If this is the intended meaning, somebody should verify and extend the sequence, and also fix the description.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters