Question on offsets (tetrahedral numbers)

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Mon May 15 21:02:32 CEST 2006

What should one do when one believes that the offset given for a sequence is not optimal?

In blatant cases, I will send in a correction, either as a comment or as an edited sequence.  But what about cases that aren't so obvious?

For example, the tetrahedral numbers A000292 (0,1,4,10,...) have offset -1.  While you can defend this choice, I think most mathematicians would prefer to have 0 as the offset.  (Second choice - possibly first for serious mathematicians - would be to insert two more 0's at the beginning, and then have offset 0.)

Some of the comments and formulas for this sequence are correct for the given offset, others assume that the offset is actually 0.  For a couple, like "Transform of n^2 under the Riordan array (1/(1-x^2),2)" I would have to do some research to determine which offset is being used.

So, should one submit a correction for a case like this?  Just ignore it?  Or ask this group (which I guess is what I am doing for this case)?

Franklin T. Adams-Watters
Try the New Netscape Mail Today!
http://mail.netscape.com