Question on offsets (tetrahedral numbers)

David Wasserman dwasserm at earthlink.com
Wed May 17 07:09:20 CEST 2006

On May 16, 2006, at 1:22 PM, Marc LeBrun wrote:

> But I'd use great care in changing existing sequences, unless it is
> to correct
> an outright error, because direct and indirect references to the
> original may
> have accreted, both inside and outside of the OEIS.

I'll make a more explicit recommendation: don't change the offset
(except to correct an error) if there are many references to the
sequence, or if there are any references that depend on the offset.
I don't think it's necessary to speculate about references; just
search for the A-number with the OEIS search and then with Google.
If Google can't find any external references, then they probably
don't exist, and if they do exist, no one is likely to find them, so
it doesn't matter if they're broken.