submit this sequence?

Joerg Arndt arndt at jjj.de
Sat May 20 09:22:52 CEST 2006

* Marc LeBrun <mlb at fxpt.com> [May 20. 2006 08:46]:
> My personal opinions (NJAS & editors may differ, of course):
>
> > Worth to submit?
>
> Yes, but I think the commentary should be made more understandable.

Will fix it as suggested below when seq appears in OEIS.

> [...]

> > Joerg Arndt <a href="http://www.jjj.de/fxt/#fxtbook">fxtbook</a>,
> > section "Invertible transforms on words" in chapter "Bit wizardry"
>
> Unfortunately that link leads to confusion: I wound up on the page
> near the lines:

The anchor brings you to the green headline
(The steadily growing "Algorithms for programmers" text (the fxtbook))
near the bottom of the page.
The top line shown with your browser will be before
the point in question with practically all window
geometries.  I added the word "fxtbook" to the
(green) headline to make it more obvious.

>   <http://www.jjj.de/fxt/doc/bits-doc.txt>bits-doc.txt bit wizardry
>   <http://www.jjj.de/fxt/doc/bpol-doc.txt>bpol-doc.txt binary
> polynomials and arithmetic over GF(2**n)
> but neither of these led to pages with the word "Invertible".

I'll add the section headline.
Adding section number and page would be stupid because
these _do_ still change.

Currently:
section 1.19 ("Invertible transforms on words") on page 42ff.
seq appears on page 44 ("Fixed points of the blue code")

When the first edition is out, I'll go through all
my OEIS entries and add more precise references.

> [...]
> I'm sure it's all quite coherent and interesting, but it was too hard
> to follow up!

I see.
For me "hard to follow up" is synonymous for "annoying".
I'll fix it.

> I would suggest that when people include links or similar pointers
> they try following them
> themselves to make sure they lead where they think they do, and that
> there are enough clues
> there for the reader to actually figure out where to look.

I always test my link(s).  There is no technical fix for that anchor
issue.  If browsers would somehow highlight the referenced area (as
dvi viewer do with TeX source specials) that problem would go away.

> By the way, if you're not already familiar with the site
> www.hackersdelight.org you might
> enjoy checking it out, and perhaps want to correspond with Henry Warren.

I have the book.
The fxtbook also has quite a few bit-magic goodies
(chapter 1: "Bit wizardry", pp.3ff).
Some of the tricks are new to my best knowlegde.
That chapter (and the rest of the book) has many
references to the OEIS (search for "OEIS" with your
dvi/pdf viewer!).

Thanks for your answer!