A000120; another recurrence?

Marc LeBrun mlb at fxpt.com
Thu May 25 01:45:45 CEST 2006

 >=Francois
 > L_k seems to be the first 2^k terms of sequence A000120.

(A000120(n) = 2[n]1 in rebase notation; I suppose I should submit an
advertisement).

 > The question is, how can I go about proving this?

You might try an approach using the generating function,

   G.f.: 1/(1-x) * Sum(k>=0, x^(2^k)/(1+x^(2^k))).
   - Ralf Stephan (ralf(AT)ark.in-berlin.de), Apr 19 2003

Here's a suggestion you might try:

Shifting corresponds to multiplying the GF or those polynomials by
powers of x, and concatenating just requires shifting them enough and
then adding them.

Your construction should be equivalent to a set of identities
involving the GF that depend on its "self similarity" under these operations.

Then you might perhaps prove it valid in the simplest case and extend
it by induction.

Hope that helps, good luck!