querying multidimensional sequences in OEIS

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Fri Nov 3 16:18:26 CET 2006

I don't know of any standard for functions of an arbitrary finite
sequence
of positive integers in the OEIS.

In your example, the function is commutative, which makes it
essentially
a function of the multiset of values - or in other words, of a
partition.  For
that there is a standard - two of them actually.  One is the
enumeration
in Abramowitz and Stegun order, as specified in A036036, and the other
is the Mathematica ordering, as specified in A080577.

There are some relevant sequences in the database in both orders, some
only in the A&S order, and a few only in the Mma order.

Since the two orders are the same for partitions of up to 5 objects,
one
often just search for an early part of the sequence.  If this does not
suffice,
one should try both before giving up.

For example, the partitions of 5 objects are: [5], [4,1], [3,2],
[3,1^2],
[2^2,1], [2,1^3], [1^5].  The multinomial coefficients for these are:

1,5,10,20,30,60,120

A search for this turns up A036038, the A&S version, and A078760, the
Mma version.

----
As for arbitrary finite sequences of positive integers, there are two
main
candidates for an ordering: A066099 and A108244; these are the reverse
of each other.  I would probably go with A066099, as it is closest to
the
ordering used for the partitions; but you can make an argument for
either
one.  Possibly both should be used.

Off hand, I can't think of any interesting functions of finite
sequences of
positive integers that depend on the order of the sequence.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters