Categories

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Wed Nov 29 20:09:00 CET 2006

Thanks, Christian.

I think we need to look at one more table:  the number of connected
categories with n morphisms and k objects.  This starts:

  1
  2
  7 1
 35 6
228 28 2

(Row n has length ceiling(n/2).)

The table of the number of categories that I started with is a two-
dimensional Euler transform of this table.

The downward-sloping diagonal sums of this table are 1,3,15,???.
Shifting this left and taking the Euler transform gives the limiting
values Christian is referring to; starting with b(0):

1,3,21,???

For the table above, a(2n-1,n) has a purely algebraic or graph-
theoretic interpretation.  It is the number of connected
anti-transitive relations on n objects (meaning that if a R b and
b R c, then NOT (a R c)); equivalently, the number of bipartite
oriented trees, where each edge origin is in the same part.

If I haven't made any mistakes, this sequence starts:

1,1,2,3,6,10

This is not enough data to determine whether it is in the OEIS.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters