terms lack

Dean Hickerson dean at math.ucdavis.edu
Mon Nov 6 14:22:58 CET 2006

Mostly to Brendan McKay

> Is there an official rule about this?  I'm not sure it is correct.
> Of course we should not submit sequences with possible gaps, but
> suppose we can compute a(10) thru a(20) but have trouble with
> a(1) thru a(9).  I don't see why we can't submit a(10..20) with
> an OFFSET of 10 and a comment explaining why a(1..9) are absent.

Sure, that's fine.  In that case the sequence that's in the OEIS starts
with a(10), and it doesn't have any gaps.  It's part of a longer, partially
unknown, one that starts with a(1), but the sequence that it's part of
isn't in the OEIS.

But in cases like Kohmoto's sequences that wouldn't work.  For example,
suppose we know from hand calculation (as Kohmoto did for A045613), that
105, 110, and 2145 are in the sequence.  Presumably we can test that
there are no terms between 105 and 110, but we can't tell if there are
terms below 105 or between 110 and 2145.  So (ignoring the 4-term rule for
submissions) we could submit a sequence with just 105 and 110, and add
comments saying that there might be earlier terms and that 2145 is also
in the sequence, but we shouldn't submit the sequence as starting with
105, 110, 2145.

Dean Hickerson
dean at math.ucdavis.edu